W-2 Information

Form W-2 is an annual wage and tax statement that reflect all wages issued January 1st through December 31st of a given tax year. The State Controller’s Office generates W-2’s and distributes them to the home address on file with Human Resources.

W-2’s are mailed by January 31st of each year‚ for the preceding tax year. If‚ after this date‚ you have not received your W-2 form‚ please contact Payroll Services at [email protected] or 619-594-5251.

Paperless W-2 is Available

Payroll Services and the Cal Employee Connect (CEC) team is excited to announce the deployment of the new “W-2 Paperless Statement” feature. This new feature will allow employees to download current and previous years’ W-2 statements using any internet-connected device.

The enrollment period is February 1 to November 30, you may only change your preference during this period. If you have already opted-in to W-2 Paperless this year, you may not opt-out until the next calendar year.

Employees who “opt-in” will be able to view and download their next year’s W-2 Statement earlier than those who are still scheduled to receive their printed version in the mail.

Our “W-2 Paperless” option will help to reduce or minimize potentially higher future printing and mailing costs moving forward. In addition to these savings, the following benefits could also be realized:

  • Eco-Friendly by reducing unnecessary paper usage;
  • Minimize the potential for mail theft;
  • Negate the time to request and receive a duplicate statement; and
  • Expedite the scheduling and filing of Income Tax returns.

Log into your Cal Employee Connect (CEC) account and opt-in to “W-2 Paperless” today! If you have not registered for CEC, additional information on how to join can be found on the Cal Employee Connect page.

If you have questions or need assistance on the paperless W-2 feature, or would like to share some feedback, please visit CEC Help & Feedback.

Requesting a Duplicate W-2

In the event that you lose your W-2‚ or require a duplicate copy for another reason‚ you can request one directly from the State Controller’s Office. Please see Request for Duplicate Wage and Tax Statement​ (login required). There is an $8.50 processing fee per tax year requested.

If you are currently employed with the university‚ you must pay for your duplicate W-2 via payroll deduction. Please ensure that you check this option on the request form. If your current position does not allow for voluntary deductions (student assistants or retired annuitants)‚ or you are no longer employed by the university‚ you may remit payment by either a cas​hie​r’s check or money order‚ payable to the State Controller’s Office. Personal checks will not accepted by the State Controller’s Office.

If you need assistance with completing the request form‚ please contact Payroll Services at [email protected] or 619-594-5251.​